Saturday 19 October 2013

Save a life, give blood.

YOU must have heard that phrase a thousand times now, 'Save a life, give blood', and I can guarantee you'll be sick of hearing it.

But how many of you actually have family members that have been in such a critical condition that a blood transfusion is the only way of saving them? And how many of you have actually given just a pint of your blood? I'll tell you, a mere 4% of the British population.

After learning that my Granddad (and hero!), George, was saved numerous times with blood transfusions I only had one thing on my mind "I need to give blood." I'm B+, a very popular blood group and I always thought that there would be plenty of it in stock, but no.

After some research I found that the stock level for B+ was only at 3,704 (excluding blood stocks from hospitals up and down the country) and that is one of the most healthy stocks.

I've seen posters up and down anywhere I've been with blood donation sessions, and I've always ignored them. And after getting a tattoo I had to wait a good four months before I could donate, so when I saw the sign for blood donations at Teesside University I was in like a shot.

It's so easy to sign up, it takes five minutes, maybe even less. The time it takes to actually give blood? For me it was 7 minutes and 34 seconds, which is no time at all considering the amount of years of life my Granddad got out of life saving blood transfusions.The nurses are incredibly friendly, they keep your mind away from the giant needle sticking into your arm. There is no pain involved, only the satisfaction of saving a life.

So save a life, give blood. Maybe you or one of your family members will be relying on it one day.

For more information on donating blood please visit; http://www.blood.co.uk/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment