Sunday 8 January 2012

Acoustic Cover Versions.

A great many of you will be in the camp that I used to be in where you think that cover versions of songs are terrible, one of life's worst disasters - especially if a teeny pop band have covered a classic song, for example when McFly covered 'I wanna hold your hand' - a terrible day for music that was. But then as I grew up and learnt that the internet can be used to find fantastic music instead of just using it to find Sims cheats and to dress up famous people on 'Paperdollheaven.com', I found YouTube which appears to be a little island of treasures. I don't like crap covers, which is understandable as I don't like things that are rubbish, what I hate more than anything in the world is when there is a cover that becomes popular and everyone thinks that this artist is a genius for writing such a wonderful song, as what has happened with Adele's cover of 'Make you feel my love'. What I do like though is acoustic covers, a totally different way of hearing the song and that artists' way of wanting it to be heard. Acoustic covers are also less subtle, a lot of them are unheard and people know that it definitely is a cover, my favourite acoustic covers are always those done by Noel Gallagher, even when he is covering his own songs but I have to say his version of 'This guy's in love with you' is sublime.

Now the video I have used as an example is taken from Scrubs (one of my favourite shows ever), this is the character Ted (portrayed by Sam Lloyd) doing an acoustic cover of Outkast's 'Hey Ya' - and I do prefer this version from the original, and this is my proof that cover versions can be great, and can also be better than the original.

They’re also nice to hear too, they’re very relaxing are acoustic instruments. And these are the questions I put to you, what are your favourite acoustic covers? Is there anyone in particular that you have found that does really good covers? If so, catch me on twitter so I can have a listen!

5 comments:

  1. i guess it isn't ted moseby you were talking about to me the other night ;) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to construct a word to say thanks to you for some of the fantastic ways you are placing at this site. My time intensive internet lookup has finally been honored with good know-how to write about with my neighbours. I 'd state that that many of us site visitors are unequivocally fortunate to dwell in a good network with very many brilliant individuals with good opinions. I feel very blessed to have discovered the web page and look forward to tons of more entertaining moments reading here. Thanks again for a lot of things.
    Rain Design mStand - Notebook stand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. excellent job. I did not anticipate this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!
    Bogs Women's Classic Mid Tuscany Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete