Monday 30 July 2012

John Lennon - Imagine.

I've said many times before that  it was sir Macca's performance on Live Aid that got me into the Beatles, and it was - there's no doubt about it, but people often mistake that for me being into Paul McCartney before any other Beatle, but that's wrong.
It was this song that had me infatuated with John Lennon. Maybe that beautiful introduction reminded me of a childhood spent on listening to 'Don't Look Back In Anger', maybe at the age, I was, I was sick of hearing songs about hoes and bitches - I finally had real music, music that inspired me and music that I was proud to listen to. 
Simplicity can be a beautiful thing and John Lennon has created one of the most beautiful songs to have ever been recorded with Imagine, spreading the message of peace across a piano and to the world for an earth that was driven by hate and war - a song that's message is as powerful now as it was in 1971, it was so simple that even those under the age of ten can understand it.
And for the record, this is my favourite number one.

No comments:

Post a Comment