Sunday 29 June 2014

Robbie Williams (23/06/2014)


Photo courtesy of www.facebook.com/robbiewilliams
Newcastle Metro Arena.

I know what you're thinking, Robbie Williams? Take That's old fat dancer? Well let me give a small explanation of why I paid £65 for backseats of a Robbie Williams concert...

My mam is the soul reason I've been to many great gigs in my life, and she has become my favourite gig partner. I've dragged her to so many concerts, even when she hated the band she would still come with me. So when I found out that her favourite singer was on in Newcastle I jumped at the chance to buy her tickets as a small token of my gratitude.

So there we are, in the middle of Newcastle, I'm preparing myself for two hours of boredom whilst Julie sits beside me almost shaking with excitement. No support act, which I don't mind, I like that Williams just got straight on with the show.

'Swing Both Ways' was different from any usual Robbie concert, I can only presume, he took to the stage with a fantastic brass band and dancers to make up his show. Swing music was the theme, and Williams played the part to an extent which took you back in time, to New York when swing music was all the rage. 

I've grown up with swing music, both of my parents are big fans, so all of the songs Williams played were beautifully familiar, and he played them with an amazing energy that brought a new lease of life to the old classics.

Dusted straight off the shelf, Williams brought back songs like 'Minnie The Moocher,'Putting On The Ritz', and even 'I Wanna Be Like You', though the performance of that latter was a bit extravagant for me I enjoyed the set, which was a massive surprise to me.

I've never been to see a live act that puts such a performance on, usually I'm not one for theatrics during live music but Williams made it classy, it was exciting, and it was sexy.

Some of Williams' other famous hits made it to the stage though, like a swing performance of 'Millennium', and of course 'Angels' which went down a treat, even with me.

The night, by all, was a massive surprise to me, I didn't expect to enjoy myself as much as I did. It was an epic performance made by one of the biggest names in pop music, but I was just happy that my mam enjoyed it. In her words, it was one of the best nights of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment