Sunday 10 June 2012

The top ten.

Is this a hard choice for anyone else? Top ten favourite songs. My list appears to change on a weekly basis, it's never the same, though some songs will always be in there. Today I have compiled a list of songs that have significance to me and really they are my top ten favourite songs.
Enjoy.

Help! - The Beatles

This is has been my favourite song for so many years now, it's the longest time I've ever had a favourite song - I think it may have been five/six years now. It became my favourite song when I first heard it, I was going through a really rough time after my parents had split up and this song seemed to fit everything that I needed. The descending three notes played on the bass give me butterflies every time I listen to it, even now. It's upbeat yet the message is quite distressing and it has helped me through so many hard times I've had to face.

Catch the Wind - Donovan

There is no specific reason why I love this song. Last year when I had some romantic troubles I did tend to listen to it quite a lot, in fact it's only recently that I've found I can listen to it again. Donovan is one of my favourite artists, and I think this song is one of the most beautiful love songs ever written and performed. 

Half The World Away - Oasis

I've often spoke about how much I connect with Noel Gallagher's lyrics and this is just one of the many songs that I connect with. At the moment I feel myself listening to this song more and more often because of the sentiment; of wanting to leave my home because if I don't do it now I'll be here forever - it's sending me crazy.
Not only is it the lyrics but it's the music, the simplicity of it is beautiful - the way the reverb creates presence on the song, that beautiful piano part played towards the end. It makes me smile as soon as I hear that strumming pattern - I love it.

How Many Friends? - The Who


I have a strange relationship with Who songs, they're my favourite band in the world but where their songs belong in my top ten anything are odd. This is in my top ten favourite songs but it is not my favourite Who song, is that strange? But I put it down to the fact that it means so much more to me than 'Substitute' or 'Baba O' Riley'. I've began going through a reclusive stage recently, which usually comes because I'm beginning to get paranoid about my friends - sometimes I manage to convince myself that they're not really my friends, perhaps they're using me. They do nothing to prove this to me but it the thought niggles at me for hours a day. In those times this is the song I listen to because of how well it fits with my situation.

Vienna - Billy Joel

I first heard this on '13 going on 30' (embarrassing, I know). I just love Billy Joel's voice in it, it's so powerful when coming to the chorus, I think it sounds so beautiful. It's a song I could listen to everyday. I love any song performed on a piano and this song is one of the biggest reasons why.

I'll See You In My Dreams - Joe Brown.

This is another song that means so much to me. I'd known it for a while before it even meant a little bit to me, it was after my grandma had died that it's meaning became apparent. I remember it being a week after the funeral, I used to see my dad every Saturday and he had 'the best of Joe Brown' in his car, he played this song to me and was surprised that I knew it. That day we didn't bother going shopping, like we usually did, instead we drove around for hours whilst the sun was out, listening to this song on a loop and singing along to it. It's one of the only good memories I have with my dad, and one of my favourite memories, whenever I hear this song it doesn't remind me of my Grandma anymore; but that day where me and my dad drove around the country side singing it to each other and getting over our grief.

Disco 2000 - Pulp

I love this song, I honestly really do. The reason it has significance to me is due to the night where I danced to it and who I was with - nothing more really needs to be said, people who know what night I am talking about know the significance and if you don't know, then it doesn't matter.

Sailing - Rod Stewart

This is the song I want playing at my funeral - either this or 'going underground' (but that depends on my burial). Whenever I feel upset I just love listening to this, when I'm drunk and upset I even sing it - but that is in the company of my own home and just myself. I don't what it is, the music isn't that fantastic in it but it just uplifts you - even though it's such a melancholy tune.
Who knows?

Waterfall - The Stone Roses

This song I tend to count as 'my song' a song that I feel describes me well. When this comes on at a party I'll be the first on the dance floor singing the words as loudly as I can and I know that when the Stone Roses sing it at T I'll be the only person Ian Brown can hear. There is no song that can get me to face a day better than this one, those days where I wake up and don't feel like facing the world I just stick on this song and drown myself in it's brilliance, it has done wonders for me.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2


And last but not least, 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'. I don't really know what I can say about this, on a normal blog post I would talk about all the technical stuff like the Edge using ping pong delay, but that is just one of the many things that make this song great. It just surprises me every time I listen to it and I love that about a song, something that is constantly giving me more - Bono's vocal lines give me goosebumps in different moments of the song each time I hear it, I hear different parts of the guitar that I can whistle to when I'm walking down the street. I don't know, it's just one of those classic songs that I will always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment