Friday 27 April 2012

Half The World Away

I've been sat listening to this on a loop for an hour today in music tech, simply because I've finished my work and have nothing else to do until my recording is finished and can be mastered. I'm recording 'Half the world away' by Oasis (surprisingly enough), it's the only song that is on my music tech hard drive so it was all I had on offer to listen to, because Matt would think I'm up to something if I went onto Vevo. So there I sat for an hour, with half the world away on a loop so I could try and start planning what I'll need to do for my mastering and mixing part of the coursework. 

I began listening in closely to the reverb used, and the more and more I listened to it the more I found it to be so beautifully used, the song just wouldn't work without it - because you can't deny that when you are listening to it you just begin to imagine Noel Gallagher in an empty room, with his guitar on his lap and singing beautifully to himself. I always thought of 'Idler's dream' as the most spine tingling Oasis song, but sitting down and really giving 'Half the world away' a listen, I found that to be wrong. The electric guitar that jingles and plays with one of the most famous introductions and carried on through the whole song, that simple drum pattern played on a snare with brushes - it's astounding. 

I just can't believe how long it's taken me to figure this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment