Sunday 29 April 2012

Damien Rice - O

Damien Rice - O

Let me talk to you about one of my favourite albums. England is currently going through a drought so naturally it's flooding it down in the North, and apart from practically inhaling my Sunday lunch I have been listening to Damien Rice to drown out the sound of the rain throwing itself at my window.

This album was suggested to me by an ex boyfriend, he claimed it to be the most romantic album of all time and he wasn't wrong. What a masterpiece this is, with Rice's haunting voice complimenting the echo's of the acoustic guitars melodies. With a beautiful track listing made up of 'Delicate', 'Eskimo', 'Cannonball' and a range of others, it's hard not to fall in love with Damien Rice's music.

My favourite from the album is 'Blower's Daughter', as I was listening to the album for the first time I wasn't completely sure about it being such an amazing album, as it was claimed to be, but when I heard that first line my mind was completely changed and I fell in love with Damien. His voice is so soft and naive sounding, the way it breaks during his emotional repetition of his cry "I can't take my eyes off of you", it sends a thousand shivers down my spine. I honestly love it.

The acoustic guitar is very prominent throughout, it's amazing how well Rice has managed to pull off a full album so wonderfully on nothing but an acoustic guitar and his voice, although there is the odd patter of drums, and maybe even a few guest appearances from other instruments. But I want to concentrate on the acoustic, every moment we get to spend with it is memorable and a guitar has never managed to pull on my heart strings to much as it has when it is being played by Rice.

It's an emotional album for me, maybe it's the memories with it -who knows? But whether it may be emotional because of that, that still doesn't take away the fact that it is an astounding masterpiece. 

I take my hat off to you Damien.

No comments:

Post a Comment