Monday 2 January 2012

With or Without U2.

U2 should never be in the category of ‘you either love them or you hate them’, no – never! They should just be loved, even if Bono kettles your Swede you should never hate a band because the lead singer is a complete and utter prat. But I actually like Bono, and I manage to achieve this by turning off the news or a programme if he’s ever on it, and he’s not singing, so I don’t really hear about him banging on about being Bob Geldof’s best mate and all that lark. That voice though, he is my favourite singer of all time – it’s just so bloody powerful and beautiful, I thought only cars could be beautiful and powerful at the same time! He is one of the very few people in the world that could actually sing anything, literally anything! Trust me, I’ve imagined it in my head enough times to know that he could sing a number of Elvis classics and even making Mr Blobby sound classy. You listen to ‘I still haven’t found what I’m looking for’ and admit that when that line ‘I have spoke with the tongue of an angel’ gives you a shiver right down your spine every time you hear it. Then to top it all off the music is astounding, that guitar work for the intro of ‘Where the streets have no name’ with the added ping pong delay, well done Mr Edge – You absolutely bloody genius because I’m not usually a fan of ping  pong delay but U2 made it work! Then the bass line in ‘With or without you’, one of my most favourite bass lines in any song and it is so hit - you – in -  the - stomach blissful and just compliments Bono as he sings these words that I’ve only recently been able to understand. But that’s the thing, I wasn’t a big of fan of U2 as I am now until something happened and I began understanding the lyrics, and one day it will happen to you and you’ll know exactly what Bono is saying.

I feel quite guilty for not even mentioning Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, so here’s to you lads – the forgotten band members, as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment