Sunday 6 November 2011

My favourite Starr.

I'm talking, of course, about Ringo Starr.
Ringo isn't my favourite member of the Beatles (I have a strange, but strong, loyalty to Paul McCartney) but I do think he gets overlooked, a lot, in what he did for the Beatles. He was their cheeky chappy that sat behind the drums and created a beat for them all to sing their songs to, he is genuinely a good drummer but his drumming wasn't up to the standards of the musicianship of the other Beatles so people just dismiss him and call him a rubbish drummer, but he isn't. To get a clear picture of his drumming abilities I would search on Youtube for his 'drum-off' with Keith Moon, of course Keith Moon eats him for breakfast but Keith Moon is rock's greatest drummer (in my opinion), just listen to Ringo's drumming though and you realise then that he is a great drummer. The Beatles would never have been the Beatles without him, if they had someone like Moonie or Bonzo it would never have been the same, they couldn't have some crazy drummer behind them cracking their sticks on the crash cymbals and throwing in tidal waves of drum rolls all about the place - imagine all that going on in 'Let it be' or 'Come Together'.

Ringo was also a great character for the Beatles, seeing interviews with them he just fits right in with them all, he has this wonderful sense of humour that had him and Paul bouncing off of each other. He also has this great imagination, listen to 'Octopus's Garden' closely, just listen to the words (because the music isn't wonderfully great) and remember that he wrote that without any help from acid, well done Ringo!

I love Ringo Starr, I think he is an underrated drummer, person and songwriter. So everyone just stop being so pompous about him, I'm warning you with peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment