Tuesday 6 November 2012

John Lennon , we salute you!


Remember that first time you heard ‘Imagine’? You may have been eleven, like me, and, for the first time ever, you had your breath taken away by a piece of music, that piano introduction that sent a thousand shivers up your spine, a voice like no other you had heard before because you were only exposed to chart music. You couldn’t imagine what such a person would look like, you’re looking out a car window whilst it’s pouring down with rain and you hear “And that was John Lennon with Imagine”, the first thing that pops into my mind is “Oh it’s that dead bloke from the Beatles” but throughout listening to ‘Imagine’ John Lennon became so much more to me than ‘the dead bloke from the Beatles’, he became my hero, my idol, someone who I craved to know more about, someone whose music has inspired to do greater things than I ever though possible of myself.
When discovering the Beatles, some months later, I found myself to fall in love with Lennon’s music even more so, his subtle way of telling the world about his misery through ‘Help!’, the meanings behind songs like ‘Norwegian Wood’ became something I would spend hours for looking for in his songs, his words of misery tangling in with an up-beat story – I felt I was let into a secret when I began understanding the meanings to his songs, but as I’ve got older it’s a reason, I find, that most people will warm to him for.

No comments:

Post a Comment